The Program to Encourage Active, Rewarding Lives (PEARLS) is a national evidence-based program for late-life depression. PEARLS brings high quality mental health care into community-based settings that reach vulnerable older adults.
During six to eight sessions that take place in the client’s home and focus on brief behavioral techniques, PEARLS counselors empower individuals to take action and make lasting changes so they can lead more active and rewarding lives.
The PEARLS Program:
- Focuses on teaching each client the skills necessary to move to action and make lasting life changes
- Is delivered in the client’s home or other accessible community setting
- Is designed to be delivered in the community through social service or other trusted community-based organizations
- Takes a team-based approach, involving the PEARLS counselor, clinical supervisor, and health provider
- Aims to improve quality of life, as well as reduce depressive symptoms
- Is well-suited for individuals with chronic illness, including people with epilepsy